Howdy pardner!

These here forums are read-only. Click here to go to the new forums, where you can actually post and stuff!

Sorry for the inconvenience

-Andrew

Famor and myself came up with an idea to counter inactive and unnecessary spams of servers. Basically we and many others believe the server list is a bit crowded with too many dead aka inactive servers, which can make the game less appealing especially to new players. A way to overcome this is to have a "Active" and "InActive" server tab or something that divides/separates the two. For example, when using Facebook messenger you can see "active members" if you slide over to the "active" tab. Similarly I think the active servers which have had players for lets say 20+ days should be on the "Active" list, and any servers that have not been active in the last 20+ days go onto the "InActive" list. Maybe even after 10+ days.

I think in general its important we highlight to players what servers they should join because they will have more of a chance to play with others, rather than be put off by the 0 player count found on many servers, which frankly never get used much at all and just sit there for show.

AndrewPH time for dominate Fri Nov 9 at 0:41:47 (2018)

That would require keeping a history of server activity, which wouldn't be a huge undertaking but would require some big architectural changes that would take quite a bit of effort

and it would be useless anyway because anybody can spin up the client on an alt and stay connected, making the server appear active.

Well then only servers with 2 or 3 active members become active?

AndrewPH time for dominate Fri Nov 9 at 23:00:21 (2018)

It's ridiculously easy to fake counts of any amount.

I suppose, unless you didn't count accounts that use the same IP.. I still think the idea should be considered because it will make the server list look more organised and less full of dead servers.

UnknownShadow200 🔧 Sat Nov 10 at 0:01:12 (2018)

classicube.net doesn't know who is actually playing on a server, only that there are X players currently on it.

AndrewPH time for dominate Sat Nov 10 at 0:30:28 (2018)

The idea has been considered, and the consensus that came from the consideration is that it would be extremely easy to fake and would take a lot more work than it would ever be worth.

You get the same results from sorting by playercount.

If you got the same 2-3 active members only on your server, then your server is still dead. I like to see a server with 5+ players.

okay then how about 10+ players??

Such a thing don't exist.

(Automerge)

Every single server is dead, it's not that the server is inactive itself, it's just that not enough people play to begin with, you know? which is the reason why nobody finds it attractive and wants to play, because nobody plays and the game is dead. is that simple enough for you? and the reason the server is inactive is because nobody plays.

Nobody plays because of players like you who put them off playing. Only positive feedback is going to attribute something useful to classicube, not listening to you taking your hate out on the game.

A tick box to hide empty servers would be more useful so people could filter out empty (inactive) servers, and maybe a way to filter servers based on different criteria such as flag (host location), IP address or number of online players.

AndrewPH time for dominate Wed Jan 30 at 0:35:36 (2019)

Hiding empty servers would just make the problem worse - even the most active servers have 0 players sometimes.

Maybe some amount of filtering based on how long since the playercount has been over 0 would help, but I feel like the real solution is just to invite your friends to play with you :v

If you join one of those empty servers it will be at the top of the server list, now that nonempty servers are prioritized. No reason to completely filter them out. And the empty servers are sorted so the most reliable (longest uptime) are at the top. Seems fair to me.

ha! not awesome 2 reaches 12+ players rarely! buuuuuuuuuuut still not active

🛑 This thread has been set to read-only due to inactivity. 🛑