Howdy pardner!

These here forums are read-only. Click here to go to the new forums, where you can actually post and stuff!

Sorry for the inconvenience

-Andrew

Hello, so I recently started Python programming. I can't get past this bug. If any people here know how to fix it that would be great!

The Code:

Tipper program

Tips the waiter 15 and 20% of the bill.

amount = input("You're bill today:")

print("Your original amount:", amount) print("Your amount with a 15% and 20% tip:")

percent15 = amount * .15

percent20 = amount * .20

print(percent15) print(percent20)

The error:

You're bill today: 40 Your original amount: 40 Your amount with a 15% and 20% tip: Traceback (most recent call last): File "C:\Python33\general.py", line 10, in <module> percent15 = amount * .15 TypeError: can't multiply sequence by non-int of type 'float'

Whoa my # note got messed up.

The pound sign is markdown for BIG TEXT in these forums.

It looks like your input returns a String and you are trying to multiply the String by a float. Parse that input into an integer.

Jonty800 Serves: makes 8 Mon Jan 13 at 17:10:53 (2014)

(Originally posted by gamerkd [Link])

pound sign

Nice try, Americans

££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££

(Originally posted by gamerkd [Link])

The ~~pound sign~~ octothorpe is markdown for BIG TEXT in these forums.

Happy? :p

amount = input("Enter your bill for today: ")

print("Your original amount: ", amount) print("Your amount with a 15% and 20% tip:")

percent15 = int(amount) * .15

percent20 = int(amount) * .20

print(repr(percent15)) print(repr(percent20))

(Originally posted by umby24 [Link])

amount = input("Enter your bill for today: ")

print("Your original amount: ", amount) print("Your amount with a 15% and 20% tip:")

percent15 = int(amount) * .15

percent20 = int(amount) * .20

print(repr(percent15)) print(repr(percent20))

Well you can't just show him how to fix the problem or he'll never learn.

In fact, this sounds a lot like a Homework assignment.

i don't even know python. I just used google.

(Originally posted by umby24 [Link])

i don't even know python. I just used google.

that's pretty much how I did LegendCraft

There are multiple things wrong with this. First:

print("string") print(bar)

is invalid syntax. It should be, for your usage:

print("string1 {0} {1}".format(foo, bar))

Anyways, the reason your code won't work is because the number you input is a string. The input() function ALWAYS returns a string. ex:

>>> amount = input("type a number: ")
>>> type(amount)
<class 'str'>

So, to make this program work, you want to use

amount = int(input("Your bill today: "))

which makes sure the input is an integer.

Final product:

amount = int(input("Your bill today: "))
percent15 = amount * 0.15
percent20 = amount * 0.20
print("Your original amount: {0}".format(amount))
print("Your amount with a 15% and 20% tip: {0} {1}".format(percent15, percent20))

Furthermore, if you don't understand this post fully, what you are experiencing is not a bug. It is because input() returns a string, and you cannot multiply, add, divide, etc. a string.

🛑 This thread has been set to read-only due to inactivity. 🛑