Howdy pardner!

These here forums are read-only. Click here to go to the new forums, where you can actually post and stuff!

Sorry for the inconvenience

-Andrew

hi, i took a look at the classicalsharp github and wanted to download Release 0.99.9.95 (why not), but surprise! the binary has dissapeared! yeah because why not? delete the history of this game (you can't assume everyone knows to compile).

https://github.com/UnknownShadow200/ClassiCube/releases?after=0.99.9.97

the thing is, where i can get the OFFICIAL binary for that version now. It is only 1 YEAR OLD, why the heck has been deleted?!? Hope to get a comprehensive answer.

regards

123DontMessWitMe Special Tue Aug 20 at 0:25:46 (2019)

Most commits have been built and saved here:http://cs.classicube.net/

oh okay thanks. btw how do i know which version is the ones numbered with almost-random hexadecimal numbers?

UnknownShadow200 🔧 Tue Aug 20 at 1:55:58 (2019)

They weren't deleted. Since you asked for a comprehensive answer here is the long reason why:

The game had two codepaths with reading map data - one slightly slower one that worked with mono, and one faster one but only worked with .NET framework on Windows.

The cs.classicube.net buildbot used mono's compiler though, so the slightly slower codepath was used in the windows build too.

Therefore I manually compiled releases so that new users when downloading for Windows would get the slightly faster codepath.

However, eventually I optimised the slower codepath so it was just as fast as the .NET Framework Windows only codepath.

At which point it was pointless for me to manually compile releases with a separate Windows build. So I just stopped doing it.

TL;DR No deliberate deletion, code improvements made it unnecessary to manually compile releases on github anymore.

(Automerge)

If you look through the Commits page on the client source code, those hexadecimal numbers next to each commit are the ones you see on cs.classicube.net.

Honestly though, I don't see it as unreasonable that you have to go out of your way to get old, broken versions of the game by compiling it yourself.

It takes disk space to store all those old version binaries for the sake of preserving history, and cs.classicube.net was purged once before due to using up too much space. (hence why all the very old builds are in 2015.tar etc)

🛑 This thread has been set to read-only due to inactivity. 🛑