Howdy pardner!

These here forums are read-only. Click here to go to the new forums, where you can actually post and stuff!

Sorry for the inconvenience

-Andrew

Hi there, I found out about this project through a random link on the Minecraft subreddit. It is great that you guys are working at recapturing the elegant simplicity of the original creative mode of Minecraft. I often lament that there is no longer a embedded version of the Classic client on the Minecraft webpage, it was the perfect way to introduce people to the game back in the day :P The ClassiCube client is great, one quick download and I can re-experience what it was like.

I was really happy to see that you're open sourcing the development of this. I have always wondered what the source code to Minecraft would be like. My programming proficiency is now possibly high enough that I could find out. Being fascinated by procedural generation I had a dig around in the map generator for Minecraft in the repository. It was obfuscated but thats what find and replace is for

Excited to see that development is ongoing and that a brand new client has been launched. I am more familiar with Java and Javascript but would love to see how you're doing things with C#. After having a quick try of the new client it seems to have better performance already. Its great that ClassiCube is moving to a better engine but will remain true to the spirit of Classic Minecraft.

Thats enough of an introduction, I'll probably stick around to follow development and post my thoughts on the old Minecraft map generation. Would it be fine to post that in the ClassiCube Discussion subforum?

Welcome!

UnknownShadow200 🔧 Thu Nov 19 at 20:23:46 (2015)

Heya. It's great to see that someone has an interest in looking at the map generation algorithm! I had originally created a wiki page for collecting data here, which might be a better place to post thoughts than the forums.

By the way, some examples of the "high level overview" detail that would be required can be found here and here

Thanks for the responses guys

Thanks for the links UnknownShadow200, I'll check them out. A Github repository wiki page sounds perfect. I'll check those examples for how best to use markdown too...

AndrewPH time for dominate Thu Nov 19 at 21:46:35 (2015)

Tell your friends! I love it when people tell their friends about CC.

AndrewPH, I've mentioned it to a few friends. Will see if I can convince my brothers to give it a shot over the Christmas break

I've got a copy of the Level generation code working in a JavaScript project. It's setup to create an isometric render at the moment:

Example map (I do hope that displays correctly...having trouble getting it to display inline)

Looking at the linked wiki page I understand you are wanting the documentation to be as 'Clean room' as possible. So that probably means you don't want to know exactly how Notch coded the Noise function, Flood Fill algorithm etc? Probably for the best as I rewrote quite a few bits that seemed weird and superfluous :P

AndrewPH time for dominate Tue Nov 24 at 1:35:44 (2015)

nice lakes bruh

Oh you :P

I've continued to play around with the Classic Minecraft map generator, implemented various features which appeared in Indev. Its become something of a Javascript experiment test bed for me :P in progress

🛑 This thread has been set to read-only due to inactivity. 🛑