Howdy pardner!

These here forums are read-only. Click here to go to the new forums, where you can actually post and stuff!

Sorry for the inconvenience

-Andrew

For those of you who don't know me (I wouldn't expect anybody to), I am noobakins, and I've been playing Minecraft Classic for around five-ish years. Or at least that's when I started playing. I found Classicube around a year ago whilst looking for the nostalgia of Classic Minecraft Multiplayer.

To the point now:

I don't know the monetary situation of Classicube, I don't know how advertisement is done for Classicube either, the one thing I do know is that there is a very small player base nowadays. At any given moment there is always 1 server that has a max of 5 players online while the rest of the servers sit empty, which is a huge issue, especially if you are trying to revive an old gamemode. My estimate is that Classicube receives around 50 or less unique new users every month. Which is very sad.

Now I understand that the platform also calls for (more or less) many "private" servers in which only a group of friends play in. If this is the case I strongly suggest opening up your servers to the public. Anyhow, the user base is declining without a doubt, and the appeal of Minecraft Classic is becoming less and less. This is why I would like to suggest a mass advertising campaign.

Actually to the point now:

In 2013 (the year Minecraft classic was removed from the site) the Minecraft user base (people who created accounts, not necessarily bought the game) reached a little over 33 million (which is now over 100 million). So what does this mean? This means that there are 33 million players who remember Minecraft Classic, and without a doubt played Minecraft Classic at some point in their Minecraft careers. These 33 million players are our target audience. We also have to account for loss of player interest, and such, which potentially could brig the audience down to 25 million (rough estimation no hard numbers on this). Either way there are still millions of players whom remember the good'ol days on Minecraft Classic.

So what can we do?

Seeing as how many users still visit the Minecraft forums (whom have had their accounts since classic), I suggest we start there. In no means am I saying spam the Minecraft forums, but use banners in your signatures that link to Classicube (i'll be working on some banners as well), comment on topics regarding Minecraft Classic, and suggest Classicube to thread posters, maybe even have a Classicube appraising post every other day (so we don't seem desperate and repetitive), etc... A second place to try is server forums, or third party Minecraft forum sites. The main "selling" point of this campaign would probably be nostalgia, seeing as how Minecraft Classic is fairly obsolete. The third best place to advertise is probably Youtube, if you have fairly decent viewership then it would be extremely beneficial to Classicube if you suggested it to your subscribers. If we can get a fairly decently sized team together (everyone in the community?) we could definitely start a spark in this community, and if not then at least we tried.

It amazes me that Classicube has been going so far with such little community, this advertisement could be extremely beneficial to the lifespan of Classicube. Minecraft Classic should be something that never dies, don't sit around and watch it.

Go ahead, and feel free to post your thoughts and feelings below. Will this work? Will people even care? What can you suggest to advertisement? Why has Classicube been so underground? I'm open to hear any and all suggestions, especially from those who have been a part of the community since its start.

~Noob

It sucks. Mojang says "we think the game is buggy" while classicube fixed a bunch of it. we wouldnt mind if they take control of the new minecraft classic, since its way less buggy. hell, it still doesnt feel like minecraft classic, to much changed, and the minecraft design is better imo. Minecraft team must know that the things that bring nostalgia are the best. At least have one "at least one minecraft developer to take care over minecraft classic. but, advertising wont help really. classicube design isnt good "not being offensive". it must give a 99% feel of minecraft classic, everything, The GUI,UI, ect lol. You all must try your all to make classicube a part of mojang, persuade them no matter what. Heck, who cares if mojang takes classicube and make use of all the resources to their own.

Really like that someone else thought about this. I believe there are 3 main "selling points" of the game.

• Nostalgia.
  • It's free.
  • It has great performance (get 400 fps on laptop and 4000 fps on desktop)

Speaking of nostalgia, FrostFox brings up an interesting topic. Since nostalgia is probably the main reason why people play, the UI should mimic the old one too. However, nostalgi will probably not attract long term players...

I agree that the Cc needs more advertisement. Banners sound like a good start. I'm a Web dev so naturally I feel like making a website to promote it somehow. I have a few ideas, let's see how they turn out.

AndrewPH time for dominate Tue Nov 24 at 1:33:47 (2015)

++noobakins posted:++

For those of you who don't know me (I wouldn't expect anybody to), I am noobakins, and I've been playing Minecraft Classic for around five-ish years. Or at least that's when I started playing. I found Classicube around a year ago whilst looking for the nostalgia of Classic Minecraft Multiplayer.

To the point now:

I don't know the monetary situation of Classicube,

No issues in the foreseeable future.

I don't know how advertisement is done for Classicube either

I don't pay for any, but I encourage people to tell their friends - I'm not a huge fan of paying for advertisements. Call me stingy :p

the one thing I do know is that there is a very small player base nowadays. At any given moment there is always 1 server that has a max of 5 players online while the rest of the servers sit empty, which is a huge issue, especially if you are trying to revive an old gamemode.

Yeah, this sucks. I want it to change, but I don't have a lot of time to personally create special gamemodes and stuff. People are just assuming that their freebuild server will take off, because clearly the 5 billion other empty freebuild servers are just doing something wrong.

I really think the biggest problem is, beyond the old-as-heck lava survival (aka 5 minute speedbuilding), the similarly old (but pretty fun) CTF, and the relatively newer, but still old (and a bit more boring than CTF because of the laggy netcode) Zombie Survival are more-or-less the only special gamemodes that people have made. There was a blockhunt server, and that was really neat, but it's since disappeared.

My estimate is that Classicube receives around 50 or less unique new users every month. Which is very sad.

Unique? Over 25-30 a day. We have over 16k accounts, with my estimate being 11k of those unique. The issue, however, is player retention - once people sign up, they join a freebuild server and find that they can't do anything, or that it's the same gameplay that they've played a billion times already. I've been saying this for months, no server owners have given making a new gamemode any thought, though.

Now I understand that the platform also calls for (more or less) many "private" servers in which only a group of friends play in.

Not at all, there are very few "private servers", and only servers that players can join are shown on the server list (via checking if the server is reachable)

Actually to the point now:

In 2013 (the year Minecraft classic was removed from the site) the Minecraft user base (people who created accounts, not necessarily bought the game) reached a little over 33 million (which is now over 100 million). So what does this mean? This means that there are 33 million players who remember Minecraft Classic, and without a doubt played Minecraft Classic at some point in their Minecraft careers. These 33 million players are our target audience. We also have to account for loss of player interest, and such, which potentially could brig the audience down to 25 million (rough estimation no hard numbers on this). Either way there are still millions of players whom remember the good'ol days on Minecraft Classic.

They may remember, but a significant amount of those people have only played modern, and a bit more than that prefer modern because they don't feel as strongly linked to the gameplay of Classic.

There is still a high demand from a pretty large amount of people, but I'm not good at getting the word out.

So what can we do?

Seeing as how many users still visit the Minecraft forums (whom have had their accounts since classic), I suggest we start there. In no means am I saying spam the Minecraft forums, but use banners in your signatures that link to Classicube (i'll be working on some banners as well), comment on topics regarding Minecraft Classic, and suggest Classicube to thread posters, maybe even have a Classicube appraising post every other day (so we don't seem desperate and repetitive), etc... A second place to try is server forums, or third party Minecraft forum sites. The main "selling" point of this campaign would probably be nostalgia, seeing as how Minecraft Classic is fairly obsolete. The third best place to advertise is probably Youtube, if you have fairly decent viewership then it would be extremely beneficial to Classicube if you suggested it to your subscribers. If we can get a fairly decently sized team together (everyone in the community?) we could definitely start a spark in this community, and if not then at least we tried.

That all sounds good to me.

It amazes me that Classicube has been going so far with such little community, this advertisement could be extremely beneficial to the lifespan of Classicube. Minecraft Classic should be something that never dies, don't sit around and watch it.

Classicube will live until something happens and I'm not able to keep it up anymore. I'm planning on this happening long after it dies completely.

Why has Classicube been so underground?

Lack of advertising, lack of interesting gameplay for the people that do arrive here. Bounce rate is high - over 30% on a good day, often over 50%.

And hey, feel free to join us on IRC. All the main peeps hang out there, you can talk thar.

(Automerge)

++FrostFox posted:++

It sucks. Mojang says "we think the game is buggy" while classicube fixed a bunch of it. we wouldnt mind if they take control of the new minecraft classic, since its way less buggy. hell, it still doesnt feel like minecraft classic, to much changed, and the minecraft design is better imo. Minecraft team must know that the things that bring nostalgia are the best. At least have one "at least one minecraft developer to take care over minecraft classic. but, advertising wont help really. classicube design isnt good "not being offensive". it must give a 99% feel of minecraft classic, everything, The GUI,UI, ect lol. You all must try your all to make classicube a part of mojang, persuade them no matter what. Heck, who cares if mojang takes classicube and make use of all the resources to their own.

They aren't interested

UnknownShadow200 🔧 Tue Nov 24 at 10:51:34 (2015)

++FrostFox posted:++

..it still doesnt feel like minecraft classic, to much changed, and the minecraft design is better imo. .. classicube design isnt good "not being offensive". it must give a 99% feel of minecraft classic, everything, The GUI,UI, ect lol.

By the way, I'm hopefully going to add support for using gui.png for the UI over the next few weeks.

++UnknownShadow200 posted:++

By the way, I'm hopefully going to add support for using gui.png for the UI over the next few weeks.

Thx alot =D

🛑 This thread has been set to read-only due to inactivity. 🛑