Howdy pardner!

These here forums are read-only. Click here to go to the new forums, where you can actually post and stuff!

Sorry for the inconvenience

-Andrew

Hi, I'm Jono.

I only found out about ClassiCube today and I am very greatful for it existing. I've wanted to have something like this again since the day that the server which I played Minecraft Classic on shut down. I came from the World of Minecraft community where I was a forum and server moderator on WoM Realms and WoM: SMP. I have since left the server community since the collapse of the WoM Realms Classic Server. Back then, the custom game client for Minecraft Classic area was dominated by the WoM game client.

Having spent some time with the ClassiCube client, I can't help but notice the similarities with the WoM game client, from the same control scheme down to the exact same speedhacks.

So just out of curiosity, is this client based off of the WoM game client and if not, what is it based off of? If so, then I think it would be right to give some credit to the guys at WoM. I knew the developers of the client personally and they spent some of their livelihood making the client, which basically went defunct when Minecraft Classic did. Please don't take this the wrong way.

Thanks for your time.

AndrewPH time for dominate Tue Jan 21 at 9:34:31 (2014)

Our client is a direct modification of the original game code. It is not based directly on any other client.

The control scheme for both hack modes was chosen so that adoption of our client would be easier for most users. That's also why we have MOTD hack flags support.

Jonty800 wrote both hackmodes, and I believe the 'advanced' hackmode was taken from his client (by him, of course), which may or may not have been based on WoM.

I don't personally feel as though WoM deserves credit in our client unless the advanced hackmode code was taken directly from their client.

But that's just my opinion.

For what it's worth, WoM does break (or did break, unsure of its current status) GPL as it was originally based on CPColin's client.

Thanks for the quick response and responding to all my questions. Ever since I started playing Minecraft Classic I've wanted someone to mod it to the kind of quality you guys have achieved, so thanks for that and I hope the community continues to grow.

++AndrewPH posted:++

For what it's worth, WoM does break (or did break, unsure of its current status) GPL as it was originally based on CPColin's client.

Regarding the WoM Client and GPL, they did have permission from CPColin to base their client off of his so they were perfectly in the clear.

++Jono posted:++

Regarding the WoM Client and GPL, they did have permission from CPColin to base their client off of his so they were perfectly in the clear.

The GPL also requires derivative works to be open source.

++Jacob_ posted:++

The GPL also requires derivative works to be open source.

Bang

Sorry, a bit of misunderstanding on my part. The WoM game client is not under the GPL and neither was CPColin's either. CPColin's code was in the public domain and World of Minecraft reserves all rights to their client.

http://imgur.com/A1pQa9d

If that isn't true, then I don't know what happened because I didn't know about Minecraft pre-2009.

AndrewPH time for dominate Wed Jan 22 at 1:26:08 (2014)

I'm reasonably sure that CPC's client was GPL until early-mid 2010 when I think he decided he was done trying.

My memory is a bit hazy and it's not really worth arguing over, so let's go with "it may or may not have been GPL at first, and right now it doesn't seem to be"

It doesn't matter, the GPL is useless if there's nobody who cares enough to enforce it.

AndrewPH time for dominate Wed Jan 22 at 5:29:08 (2014)

++Marcus posted:++

It doesn't matter, the GPL is useless if there's nobody who cares enough to enforce it.

This is also true

Jonty800 Serves: makes 8 Sat Jan 25 at 18:44:43 (2014)

The advanced hacks were based off of how WoM's hacks work. The code itself is totally different and could never be the same, mainly because WoM is a wrapper which injects its code. The movement itself, keyboard input, toggles ect are also written in completely different ways. I also think WoM's hacks are much smoother.

Sure, some sort of recognition could be given to WoM for the inspiration, but the same could be said for the client as a whole, which was taken from decompiled Minecraft Classic.

The client currently stands as a salvation for Minecraft Classic, a game enjoyed by many but was cruelly crushed by its devs, even though it is what made them worth millions. It is an open source, community project where no one gets recognition for contributions - a way for the community to continue playing.

🛑 This thread has been set to read-only due to inactivity. 🛑